Monday, June 25, 2012

Student Data Folders...New App!

So, how many of you keep the traditional student data folders???? (My hand is raised...) In kindergarten it looks like this..... Little Johnny does poorly on the rhyming test, I take the rhyming test upstairs to make a copy, I 3-hole punch the copy, write the date, put it in Little Johnny's binder.....Then of course when I give an important test that I mom and dad to see at conferences I 3-hole punch and keep it..... keep a few writing samples.... make a copy of a behavior slip sent home (I call them 'oops reports')......The list is endless, then the binder is filled, blablablablabal Such a bother, but I obviously see the benefits and need for these binders or BELIEVE ME I WOULDN'T DO THEM..... 
So today while blog hopping/stalking I found this post by KindergartenWorks
 

Click on the picture above to read her description of a time-saving organizational power-house app for the iPad/iPhone called 3 Ring.  It can be found here at http://threering.com/.
Check out this short video about 3 Ring!


 The organizational aspect is AMAZING.... The general idea is that it's a 'virtual data binder'.  Simply take a picture of the document, choose who and what it belongs to, and it's uploaded. So, at conferences I can pull up Little Johnny's writing to show mom and dad what he produced.  "Oh, what was that, mom and dad? You're not sure what is expected from a kindergarten kid at this time of the year.... Well, let me just pull up all of the class' writing about ol' Abe Lincoln and we can just take a little peek at the rest of the class' work."
Ok, seriously, pick your mouth up off the floor and go check it out....
Oh, you're concerned because your school is low on funds and won't purchase any apps? 
IT'S FREE TO TEACHERS!!!!
So, I'll be downloading this on my personal iPad (which I got for Mother's Day.... do I have the best husband or what?????) and playing with it this summer.  And I'm sure my principal will be getting an email very soon about this app and what we can do with it...... Just think of the possibilities!!!!!  What are your ideas????

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, you make some excellent points! I am grateful for you sharing what you found on KindergartenWorks. Thanks - we'll enjoy this organization, won't we?
    -Leslie @KindergartenWorks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I am your newest follower and I am hoping you will recommend apps for kindergarten for me. What do you love? HELP! I need smart people with great insight. I am excited to read this blog and I will tell others about you if you would like me to!
    Fran Kramer
    PS Leslie is a total rockstar blogger and an amazing teacher. I am checking this out now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is so great! Can't wait to read about the apps you like. I'm so bummed we had to turn our Ipads in for the summer. Can't wait to check these out...guess I have to wait until August, but at least I can read about them now. :) :)

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. This app seems amazing! I am commenting right now from a week-long tech training provided by my district where we all got iPads! On Tuesday, we did a Skype call with the designer of three ring. It seems pretty amazing! And since it's a fairly new company/app, they are asking for a lot of teacher input. They really what to know what we need! It was very cool to be able to Skype with Steve, and I am very excited to use this app this year!

    ReplyDelete